It's so weird to realize it's the year 2012. I remember having conversations with my sisters when we were little about how old we would be when the year 2000 came. We would talk about how odd it seemed to think of someday being 30something years old. Now my oldest sister is almost 2 yrs past that decade, my next oldest sister is leaving her 30's behind in just 10 days, and I have only 2 1/2 years left in my 30's! WOW!!! Our parents are now the age our grandparents were when we were kids.
Our kids....well....they are growing up so quickly. Michael and I occasionally tease David about little girls he knows. He is wanting to do everything "grown up". He has started showering every day. He's wearing cologne. These are "Milestones" along our way. He talks about getting a job some day and he can't wait to learn how to drive. David will be 11 in April. Seems like just yesterday I was taking a pregnancy test at 5 am and telling Michael it was positive. We were both in awe that we were actually going to have our own child.
This past year of 2011 has been a year of progress for David. He has grown and matured. He has had many struggles and still has many to face. I am confident that he will grow into a strong young man who knows what he believes. He is a wonderful caregiver when others in our family are sick or hurting. He plays so well with his little sister. Just a few days ago I took the kids to the park. Within just a moment of reaching the playground, Alahna had made a new friend. It took only another moment before David had been designated the "monster" and proceeded to act the part, chasing Alahna and her new friend all over the playground.
I had another "milestone moment" when David crawled through a tunnel, came out and said "Mom, I don't fit in those tunnels like I used to." We just keep reaching milestone after milestone so quickly these days. So many signs of my little boy reaching adolescence.
We have experienced spiritual battles, resulting in spiritual growth. He loves to read his new Action Bible. It tells the Bible through comic book pictures. There are many days that he reminds me to sit and have our Bible time together. He has experienced the effect it has on our days. One of my favorite precious moments recently was when David was praying at bedtime and said, "Thank you for giving me such an awesome mom." Doesn't get much better than that!!
Alahna is changing every day it seems. Some days she is such a little lady, and others she is a tomboy through and through. Alahna is definitely her daddy's little work buddy. If Michael is in the garage or outside working, no matter that weather, she is right there with him. She is so competitive. Anything David can do, she tries to out-do him. If there is a dead bug on the floor and we tell David to get rid of it, he usually hesitates....and she says, "I'll get it." Just today the kids found a dead baby mouse on our side porch. Alahna was the one to put gloves on and throw it in the woods. :) She is always riding her bike and trying to do little stunts. Shouldn't be long before we have our first trip to the ER. LOL
Alahna has a caring servant's heart just like her brother. If anyone in the house is not feeling well, she is right there to take care of them. She can tell when I am about to cry and it brings her to tears. Even at church, after the kids' Christmas program, our pastor's wife was beginning to cry as she spoke to the families about how proud she was of the children, and Alahna along with another child began to tear up. I love that their hearts are so soft and caring that they can feel another person's emotions.
I will often tell David and Alahna of people who are sick that we need to pray for. When we pray at bedtime, they remember to pray for them. Just a few days ago, I told Alahna about a text I received that had bad news about someone we have been praying for. Her reply was, "Mom, text her back and tell her I'm sorry." I made sure I did.
This past year was a busy year. It was not our best year, but definitely not our worst. Regardless of how our days went, we were blessed. God was still God. Faithful, Good, Loving. Always carrying us through days we couldn't make it on our own.
My last couple posts were made during a definite turning point for me this year. Spiritual battles definitely result in growth when God is allowed to have His way in our lives.
Since that time, I have seen God working in my life and in the lives of my children.
Our holiday season was so very enjoyable. Right before Thanksgiving we celebrated Alahna's 6th birthday and my little sister Ronni's 18th birthday. Thanksgiving was a delight because my big sis Joyful and her family were home from NY. We had a great time visiting while they were home. The following weekend we celebrated my brother-in-law Rob's 40th birthday in Columbia and visited with he & Lisa and their 10 children. That was a great time!
Two weeks later we celebrated Christmas with my Dad and step-mom Sharon. This was a bit different this year because Joy and Darin were not here. (A fact that caused quite a bit of struggle for me throughout the days leading up to Christmas.) The day turned out to be one I will never ever forget. My dad sat in David's room with him and spent time showing him some things about the guitar. He then played and sang a song for the kids and me that he wrote himself. I was crying by the time he finished. Just watching him there with my kids, sharing that time with them, was such a blessing. The message of the song was awesome as well! I never knew any of my grandparents very well at all. I definitely never had any special moments as a child with them like my kids have had with their grandparents. My kids have had lots of time with my mom and Michael's parents, but not much time with my dad. So this was extra special. He and Sharon then played Kinect games with David and Alahna. Now that was fun and very memorable!
Last weekend we were blessed yet again to share much family time with our loved ones over the Christmas weekend. Time with Michael's family, my mom and siblings and even a couple hours with my mom's side of the family. Many uncles, aunts and cousins, lots of pictures, and Mom's homemade fudge made for a fun evening!
Now...here we are...time to get back on a decent diet of something other than baked goods and candy. Bedtimes back to some what of a normal time...anything before 10pm would be good to start! Waking times back to 7am instead of 10am!!
I am looking forward to seeing what God will do in our family this year. Sometimes I actually feel a little fear that because things have been going so well, surely something bad has to happen. But I refuse to worry. I want to enjoy every day that God blesses me with those I love the most. My prayer has been and continues to be "Lord, help me to bless your name in the difficult times as well as the easy times."
Blessed be your name
In the land that is plentiful
Where the streams of abundance flow
Blessed be your name
Blessed be your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed be your name
So as this day comes to a close, I say again, I am blessed beyond measure....All because of Jesus.
No comments:
Post a Comment